What are dental implants?
It is often difficult for people who do not have dental problems to understand how devastating it can be for those suffering from missing teeth. However, missing teeth can greatly affect one’s quality of life. This includes struggling to eat the foods they want to eat, feeling insecure, and so on. Missing teeth can affect one’s physical health and even mental health. Dental implant surgery is a medical procedure that replaces a tooth’s roots with a metal, screw-like post to act as a socket for an artificial tooth that looks and functions like a natural tooth. The surgery for quality affordable dental implants can offer a great alternative to dentures or bridgework for a multitude of reasons.
The major benefits of dental implants are:
- solid support for your new tooth or teeth,
- an improved appearance,
- better oral health,
- a reason to smile,
- improved comfort,
- improved speech,
- easier eating,
- less maintenance,
- and most importantly the durability.
Should I consider dental implants?
Well, dental implants may be right for you if:
- you have one or more missing tooth,
- you are unable or unwilling to wear dentures,
- or if you have a jawbone that’s reached full growth and have healthy oral tissues.
If you are still wondering if you should get dental implants, have a look at this article about the risks of letting a missing tooth go untreated. You can also check out some of our real patients and see what they have to say about their dental implants and Archpoint smile.
Do you have diabetes mellitus?
If you have diabetes mellitus, you have likely already been diagnosed by your family doctor. If you have not been diagnosed but are suspicious of the disease, consider the following possible symptoms of diabetes mellitus:
- abnormal hunger,
- increased fatigue,
- excessive thirst,
- urinating more often than usual,
- itchy or dry skin,
- increase in infections that struggle to clear up,
- tingling or numbness in one’s hands or feet
- and blurred vision.
The above are only some of the symptoms and by no means a diagnosis. However, if you are experiencing the majority of these symptoms it might be a good decision to visit your family doctor for a general checkup.
Do I qualify for dental implants if I have diabetes mellitus?
So, you’ve been looking for quality, affordable dental implants, and finally found us; however, you have also heard about the risks associated between diabetes and dental implants. As medical professionals – who want only what is best for our patients – we want to provide the highest quality affordable dental implants as well as educate you on the “need to know” before receiving treatment.
It’s important that you understand that there are risks of dental implant surgery if you have diabetes. Mostly in that having the disease does pose a higher threat of implant failure and chances of infection. However, this does not mean you are automatically not a candidate. To get a better idea of if you qualify, keep reading…
…you should consider these 5 factors:
- If you have “uncontrolled” diabetes then you should rather avoid the procedure completely. However, people with “controlled” diabetes often do well with implant surgeries.
- The rate of dental implant failure is much higher in people with diabetes. This is as it might take longer to heal the wound of the surgical implant.
- Diabetic patients are at a greater risk of infection. Considering that infections in one’s gums are much more common in people with diabetes, the risk of dental implant failure increases tenfold and might lead to other complications as well.
- If you do receive dental implants as a diabetic, our implant specialists will insist that you maintain a comprehensive oral hygiene routine. This routine involves flossing regularly and brushing twice to three times daily. It would, therefore, be your responsibility to keep a close eye on the healing process and to report anything out of the ordinary.
- In order to keep oral problems at bay, you should also stay hydrated and ensure you are eating the right foods to manage your diabetes. This will not only help with the dental implant healing process but also ensure a happier, healthier you.
Archpoint is the right decision for QUALITY affordable dental implants
While we cannot put all of the answers to your questions on our website, we encourage you to contact us to learn more information. With over 30 years of collective experience, our implant specialists are some of the highest qualified in Fort Worth, Texas, if not the country. This gives us the confidence to educate you on our affordable dental implants, even if you have diabetes.
At Archpoint implant dentistry, we specialize in dental implants. In fact, it is all we do. We can, therefore, provide the highest level of expertise to assist you. Knowing the risk factors for diabetic patients and understanding how to prevent them will ensure successful treatment with lasting results.
We believe that every story should end with a Smile. So, when you’re looking for the highest quality affordable dental implants, we’ve got you covered. From the moment you walk into our door to the final follow-up appointment, we can reassure you, you will be in hands you can trust. If you are interested in our dental implants, diabetes or not, we can help. If you have questions and wish to speak to one of our specialists, simply contact our team here for a consultation. We look forward to giving you the smile you deserve.